Biology, the study of life, is a wide-ranging and rapidly growing discipline. Understanding biology requires a working knowledge of all the sciences, especially chemistry and mathematics. The biology program at Fairmont State strives to provide students with a broad-based education in all fields of biology as well as a fundamental knowledge of chemistry and mathematics. Students are required to complete basic courses in biology designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of living organisms. Electives allow students the flexibility to gain additional knowledge in an area of interest. No minor is required for biology majors.
A four-year B.S. degree in biology will prepare students to compete for entry level jobs such as lab technician, wildlife biologist, research scientist or naturalist, among others. While a bachelor’s degree in biology will help students get a job, many careers require additional education beyond the B.S. degree. Many of our best students compete successfully for admission to graduate study at institutions across the country. A biology degree will also provide preprofessional training required by fields such as dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine.
Students who major in biology select one of the following degree programs:
- the B.S. in Biology degree as preparation for employment, professional school or graduate study
- the B.S. in Biology degree with an emphasis in biotechnology as preparation for employment, professional school, or graduate study
- the B.A. in Education degree with a specialization in biology, as preparation for teaching biology in grades 9-Adult. All courses must be completed prior to admission to Secondary Student Teaching/Clinical III.
In addition to meeting the graduation requirements listed for the B.S. in Biology or B.A. in Education degree, students must also:
- obtain a grade of “C” or better in BIOL 1105 , BIOL 1106 , BIOL 2202 , and BIOL 2203
- successfully complete an assessment exam during their final year (This exam is given every spring semester.)